Saturday, April 11, 2009

Milk It


Argh.. Bliss. I sit here in harmony with the Mother Earth, Nature and the Universe as I sipped my well- earned masala tea.
This is part of my daily routine now. After I get out of bed in the afternoons, I would groggily move my arse over to the kitchen to brew some masala tea. The enticing scent of spices and sweet dark muscovado sugar from the tea alone will be an incentive for me to not laze around in my bed. So, in the kitchen, I would set the kettle on the stove and proceed with the usual of scooping out just the right amount of tea, spices and sugar into my exquisitely beautiful tea cup. I waited around for a bit, manhandled the papers a little, stoned in my seat for a little while more- then the bloody kettle finally whistles! I leapt out of my seat, poured the boiling water into my teacup and walked over to the refrigerator to take out some milk.

But something is different on this day. My hand was stretched into the fridge, seeking for the tin of milk that I would then gleefully and liberally empty into my tea, but my hand reached naught, nothingness.

Where the hell is my sweet milk?!?!

I doubled-checked, bending down to peer daftly right into the fridge and moving other items around to make sure that my milk is not hiding behind the bottle of kaya spread or that pack of cheese. But I still see no signs of my milk. Uh-oh. Okay, calm down. There's another tin in the larder.

Bear in mind that the whole time I was wasting away these precious minutes, my tea was sitting on the counter getting cold.

But I couldn't find any milk in the larder as well. Nor in the cupboards. I had just encountered the impossible in my house. We ran out of milk! The last time this occurred was probably at least 3 years back, when my mother ran out of milk to cook her curry and interrupted me from a very important PS2 game to send me on an errand to buy some.

And I'm not going to settle for masala without milk. So what I did next was to dash back into my room, changed out of my $5 Hello Kitty PJ's, took the essentials and ran down to the ah- pek's store at the next block. I'm determined to get my milk!

I could have dash back in record time, only stopping to receive the change from the ah-pek. But ah- ma was like aiyo.this is not the milk to brew tea la.it's this one. take this.take this. And she kept insisting on it until ah-pek asked her to back off from the xiao mei mei (me). Snigger snigger.

So here I am, sitting in front of my desk now with my tea. With milk in it. It's lukewarm, but I'll survive.

This entry has absolutely no point or objective whatsoever. It's just for me to ramble on about the injustice of running out of milk when you really really need it.



No comments:

Post a Comment